It may be rainy and cold right now, but you know what they say about March! In like a lion, out like a lamb! I can't wait for sunshine and warm weather to return. Spring is one of the best seasons in SF, and many people say that the weather here is perpetually stuck in spring or fall. This makes buying spring, or any transitional clothing, a great investment, but can also cause even the most experienced layer-er to suffer from the occasional Outfit Crisis. How to pair light-weight spring pieces with bulkier warm essentials?
First, pick pieces that you know will sit well under an outer layer or two. I steer clear of anything with voluminous sleeves or a lot of bulk. I hate the feeling of the sleeves bunching up! Second, stick to a simple color pallet. My winter coat would actually pair well with any of the above pieces. Keep this in mind when buy new items because you never know when you'll need an actual jacket here. Finally, if you want to wear it--go for it! Just because it's sunny doesn't mean it's warm, but don't let that stop you! As long as you're comfortable wear whatever you want. Sandals and a puffy vest? YES. Sleeveless blouse with a coat? SURE. You do you.
Pastels and bright whites are always big this time of year, but this season's 70's vibes get a clean modern look with an injection of bright, bold colors and jolts of black. Layer pieces with a classic trench, jeans or an oversize sweater for when the wind picks up and the fog rolls in. I'm really impressed with Zara's spring collection this year. Most of the pieces are very wearable, even in SF, and the color pallet looks crisp, modern and classic. I love the pastel blue with the sharp black and bright red. Unexpected pairings for the win!
1. These Vince Camuto Lavette perforated heels from Nordstrom are calling to me! I love the pattern of the perforations, the height of the heel and the ankle strap. They could be dressed up or down easily, and also come in brown, which is equally as awesome. I want to try these on in person and see how comfy they'd be for walking to work.
2. Clare V is one of my favorite designers. Every season I eye most of her bags, but always gravitate towards the classics. This spring I'm loving her flat clutch in this pretty blue. The bright stripes make it grown up vs baby blue.
3. Zara, Zara, Zara. This top looks comfy, and is only $23! It's the perfect balance between trendy and totally functional. I like the details on the sleeves, and the cut is easy to wear to work or on the weekends.
4. This scarf is also from Zara. Colorful with just the right amount of cozy--wear it with all black on a dreary day for some serious street style vibez, or with shorts as an extra layer once it gets warmer!
5. I love the relaxed cut and fresh blue of this crop top! The hue is all grown up with the black straps, but still fun with the swing fit. I like loose fitting crop tops since they're easier to wear with high-waisted jeans or shorts. This top could also be dressed up for work with a skirt and blazer.
What are you craving for spring?